Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sla#s Sla#s is offline

Default Wood burning stoves

Doki wrote:
We've got a wood burning stove in our house. Or at least, I assume
it's a wood burner, as the previous owners put it in. What affects
what I can put in it (ie, can I chuck coal in?) and so on?

I have a Stovex "Brunel"* and it happily burns coal and wood. I was told you
can tell a coal burner by the type of lining. Basically if it has no
firebrick lining on the back and sides it is for wood only.
Note: be careful, modern firebrick can be very soft almost as soft as
polystyrene. But is cheap & easy to replace.
Get advice on what type of coal though. I put in some power station freebee
stuff, left it unattended for a while and it got so hot it bubbled the
enamel. I normaly use Anthracite doubles and phurnacite mixed, plus wood.

Slatts

*
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_b...2CB-stove.html