Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Convert cold fill washing machine to hot and cold fill

wrote:
Technically speaking, it's the same energy. One might argue that gas
heating more easily allows some heat to escape via the flue. The money
it costs, however, can be altogether different matter.

Hi Phil,

I take your point that 1kwh is 1kwh whether it's gas-powered or
electrical. However, I was thinking of energy in overall production
terms rather than just what the end-user gets. Obviously to produce
1kwh of electricity uses a lot more gas at a gas-powered power station
than it would take to produce 1kwh of power from the combi in my boiler
cupboard.

Given the increasingly dire warnings of climate change that we get,
that seems more important than a couple of pence off the utilities
bills.

Martin