Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default 60kg hanging 26" from the wall - what anchor to use :-)

wrote:

Resin is absolutely the right choice, Andy Hall's right on the mark.
1860 brick houses typically used brick rejects and assorted junk for
inner wall leafs, bonded together with lime mortar.

my extensive experience says ********.

Some of these
bricks will be pretty hopeless strength wise, some good and solid, the
mortar will often be reduced to crumbs by now, the odd bits of wood may
have shrunk or rotten and so on.

I've never read such a negative pile of rubbish in all my life.

Any other fixing type will exert uneven pressure on the brick and is
much more likely to cause the brick to just crumble and let go.

again, complete and utter crap. I don't suppose the hundreds of
tons of weight surrounding the bricks will have any effect on them
'letting go' because someone drilled a 10mm hole in one and
correctly tightened a bolt into it, will it ?

no, put one bolt in and the whole thing will 'let go', the house will
collapse and everyone will catch anthrax from the horse hair in
the plaster. for ****s sake, get a grip !

it's plain to tell who has and who hasn't just discovered resin and
who has and has not figured out how to use rawl bolts correctly.
and before anyone quacks off YES I have used both in a commercial
(i.e. liable) sense in several buildings, specifically in liverpool, which
were built way before 1860, had poorer bricks than any vic/ed house I've
renovated and are still there, as far as I know, supporting the several
hundred kilos of secondary roofing, assorted steels, wires and cables
D2's etc etc etc, etc.

a 60kg TV ? steel plates, underpinning, resin, superglue... fantasy DIY