Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Nova Nova is offline

Default On finials and lids

Larry Blanchard wrote:

During a demo on using shellac, I've scattered large droplets of water on a
dewaxed shellac finish and left them there for 30-60 minutes while doing the
demo. When I eventually wipe it off, there's no sign it was ever there.. I
haven't tried the experiment with shellac containing wax.

But I'd be hesitant to submerge a shellac finish, as in the canoe mentioned in
an earlier post :-).

A few years ago I tried an experiment. I took a scrap of walnut and
finished one half with dewaxed shellac. The other half was finished
with shellac containing wax (Bullseye). I poured a puddle of water and
set a glass in the puddle on each half and let it sit overnight. The
next morning the dewaxed side was fine. The side finished with the
shellac containing wax had the white ring and the grain of the wood was
raised.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA