Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

Default Question about TV Commercial, saves up to 25% electricity?

Tom The Great wrote:
This is not spam, it is a serious question about a commercial that
claims a product that can save up to 25% electric usage, without
reducing power usage of applicances?

The website: WWW(dot)PowerSaveTV(dot)Com

They claim UL listed, so I guess it means it won't burn down the
house, but has anyone figured what is going on here? Is it real? Is
it a bank of capacitors to change the PowerFactor?

Any insight, or reviews would be appreciated.

http://www.power-save.com/product.html

It sounds like the same thing as Green Plug. I used them for several
years on fridgs, fans, well thats all. I was going to buy another for
my new attic fan but I found one of my old ones. you can still get
remaining buyouts of the "Green Plug" from Electronic Goldmine. Take a
refridgerator, which most all new models allready have this function.
It start up drawing a lot of power and current, the Green Plug allows
this surge of current, however then backs off the supplied voltage when
starting current subsides. Now, the fans inside slow down, not really a
good thing, but with a new fridgs, its all been taken care of. I did
install one on my attic fan. Before its done the two spped fan has very
little speed differential between the two speeds. After installing the
Green Plug, there is a big difference in speeds. High is still pretty
fast but on low, the Green plug is limiting the voltage since it thinks
is just idiling.
gs