Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default On finials and lids

Prometheus wrote:

Shellac is more resistant to water than you may think.**One*of*the
problems with shellac and water is/was the _wax_ in the shellac.**Seems

Hmmm... I may need to try it then.**I*have*never*let*a*shellaced*piece
I like get anywhere near water, based on my memories of water rings
from pop cans.

During a demo on using shellac, I've scattered large droplets of water on a
dewaxed shellac finish and left them there for 30-60 minutes while doing the
demo. When I eventually wipe it off, there's no sign it was ever there.. I
haven't tried the experiment with shellac containing wax.

But I'd be hesitant to submerge a shellac finish, as in the canoe mentioned in
an earlier post :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down