Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default 60kg hanging 26" from the wall - what anchor to use :-)

Antix wrote:
ahhh :-) well, maybe not such a far out idea !

ok...so far I'm sort of leaning to the idea of a sleeve anchor....the
1/4 inchers by all accounts stand up to 500lbs or so 'pull out' and i'd
have 3 of those which would hopefully give me a good degree of
leaway...but I'm certainly concerned about the condition of the bricks
which I haven't uncovered yet (but will !). How does resin compare to a
sleeve anchor ?

now...not such a far out idea above becuase I am planning on removing a
brick from the wall to provide a hole to drop the AV cables through
(along with another brick at the base of the wall as the outlet)....so
there is 'some' potential to access the rear side of the wall (albeit
with shredding most of the skin off my hand fiddling around trying to
attach the nut to the back end of a bolt I've poked through...and a few
tens of nuts and washers in the proces :-) ). I'm thinking, no lateral
pressure from an expanding bolt on the brickwork is a good thing, and
no reliance on a resin I've never used before, and providing I can
actually reach the end of the bolt with my hand/arm through a single
brick hold, it'd give me a hell of a lot of peace of mind....Any
thoughts on this approach ? ideas on what to use as a stud/bolt or what
to use on the rear (just washers ? or are there special things I can
get ?)...anyone able to tell me how far through a singl brick hold I'm
likely to get my arm !! :-)

(it's a partition between my part of the house and the neighbour so I'm
not tooooo worried about condensation dripping down the cables...I'll
work around it if it happens and I'm more happy to replace cables if
they deteriorate than have the kit fall off the wall)

Ant.

My brother has hung a pair of heavy gates using resin fixings as the
holes had to be close to the edges of the blocks, still up and OK 7 yrs
on ! they were twin injector thingies and just push threaded bar into
em, leave em cure for 24hrs and bingo, used the same for my wallplates
in the extension too.