Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default On finials and lids

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:03:19 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:10:51 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

a lot depends on the wax you use - pure carnuba is very hard and doesn't
feel sticky - at the other end of the spectrum, parafin is soft and sticky

That's probably true- what I've got is Minwax Paste Wax- which I'm
sure is not pure carnuba, or even particularly high-end. But it's all
I could find locally, and I wasn't too worked up about finding it
online when I bought the stuff.

Pure carnauba you won't find in a can--the block I have can easily be
mistaken for a brick. You generally use it by applying it to a buffing
wheel like polishing compound. If you're not careful it will scratch your
finish--it's that hard. I'm told that it's harder than concrete.

After seeing how long a can lasts, I'll probably make the effort of
finding better wax when this stuff is gone.

Among wax that comes in a can the Minwax is probably as good as any.
Johnsons, if you can find it, is the "standard". At least one Fortune 500
aerospace company uses Butchers for mold release and the like. Just don't
use car wax--most of it has silicone which will play Hell with your finish
and your glue bonds and worse than that it transfers to other surfaces
easily.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt