Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller Kevin Miller is offline

Default On finials and lids

George wrote:

Shellac is more resistant to water than you may think. One of the
problems with shellac and water is/was the _wax_ in the shellac. Seems

You're right George, and even that isn't that much of a problem. I've
used shellac as a finish on a bowl and eaten hot soup out of it with no
apparent change in the finish. (It cured for some time before I did -
wasn't immediately afterwards.)

It was garnet if I recall. I don't remember if I decanted the shellac
off after the wax settled or if I used it freshly mixed.

My inspiration to try was due to a post over in rec.woodworking that
some custom wood canoe maker used non-dewaxed shellac for a finish on
his canoes...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller