Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Phones - Caller i/d (a bit OT)

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:50:32 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

For me that's quite useful. If I get an international call displayed on
the unit, I pick up the handset and *wait* until the other caller
speaks before making any sound.

I don't say anything until the reciever is at my ear for all calls. If
there is no background noise, just silence, I don't say anything. What
happens next depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I wait the 10 seconds
or so until the call centers equipment finally finds a free operator and
connects me to them. I then only say "hello" a few seconds after each
time they have finished speaking. Other times I just place the reciever
next to me and carry on with what ever I was doing, ignoring the little
voice saying "hello? hello?". Can take quite a long time before they give
up, Iike this one as if the CCO is trying to talk to me they aren't
annoying someone else.

If you make a sound when you pick up the call, then the calling centre
routes the call to a human who you really don't want to talk to.

I don't think that happens. Silent calls are just the call centre kit
dialing calls before there is an operator free to take the call the
moment it is answered (if it is). Having a CCO not talking to someone
costs money.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail