Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Wirlpool Bath wiring, some advice needed

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:44:48 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

Sorry for the tardy reply David, I've been too busy with the farm for
internetting :-)

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:22:26 +0000 someone who may be Jeff
wrote this:-

I am completely renovating our bathroom. I've come to installing our
whirpool bath and reading the info sheet that comes with it, it asks
that the pump is connected to the mains via a 30ms RCD and a maximum
rating of 16A. I am thinking of using this:-
It has a 16A MCB which I presume I can use for the bath pump.

Sounds like it.

I also need to supply a lighted mirror in the bathroom and was
thinking that the 6A MCB could be used for that.

It could be.

Will the unit I'm thinking of be ok?.

Probably. What will you be feeding it from?

A feed from the CU which was installed by our electrician when we
installed central heating. It was originally intended to use it to
supply a dual source heated towel rail but I was thinking of hijacking
it for the bath supply.

Does your existing consumer unit have a spare way which could be
used to feed the pump? Could you run a spur from an existing ring
main? Both would be fed via an RCD.

Our existing CU has one free way left but I am not sure that the
isolator switch has and RCD hence my thinking the box I have bought
would provide the protection necessary IF the CU is not protected by
RCD. If the CU _is_ protected by RCD, should I buy a new RCD for my
remote box of a lower ma value so it acts first?

The CU is an MK 12 way but there is no indication on the outside that
it is protectd by RCD, will I need to open it up to check? It's
probably 10-12 years old.

I will also be installing a
towel radiator using the existing pipes from the old radiator

Presumably you have installed a new radiator to provide heating of
the bathroom? Many towel radiators don't provide much heating.

Yes, it is quite a large bathroom and I'll be putting another proper
radiator on the opposite wall.

Have you thought of fitting an electric element to the towel rail
for summer use, or feeding the towel rail from the hot water
circuits so it can be activated in summer?

Yes, I have bought a 400w element from screwfix which they recommend
for the towel rail (also from screwfix).

which
didn't seem to be bonded at all. Once I have earthed the bath
framework, should I also connect to the radiator pipework too?

Yes. It doesn't cost much in time or money to do, compared to the
alternative of checking whether it is necessary to do.

Ok, will do, I was just not sure whether earthing the rads would cause
a problem after reading the DIY FAQ (which I encourage all readers of
this group to peruse).

Many thanks for your advice , it is very much appreciated.