Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wirlpool Bath wiring, some advice needed

Hi all,

I am completely renovating our bathroom. I've come to installing our
whirpool bath and reading the info sheet that comes with it, it asks
that the pump is connected to the mains via a 30ms RCD and a maximum
rating of 16A. I am thinking of using this:-
It has a 16A MCB which I presume I can use for the bath pump.
I also need to supply a lighted mirror in the bathroom and was
thinking that the 6A MCB could be used for that. Will the unit I'm
thinking of be ok?. It will be located in the laundry area adjacent to
the bathrooom, not in the bathroom itself.

Also, the info sheet calls for the bath framework to be earth bonded,
no problem, there is a 10mm Earth wire already in place but not used
previously as the pipework is all plastic. I will also be installing a
towel radiator using the existing pipes from the old radiator which
didn't seem to be bonded at all. Once I have earthed the bath
framework, should I also connect to the radiator pipework too?

Any help appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:22:26 +0000 someone who may be Jeff
wrote this:-

I am completely renovating our bathroom. I've come to installing our
whirpool bath and reading the info sheet that comes with it, it asks
that the pump is connected to the mains via a 30ms RCD and a maximum
rating of 16A. I am thinking of using this:-
It has a 16A MCB which I presume I can use for the bath pump.

Sounds like it.

I also need to supply a lighted mirror in the bathroom and was
thinking that the 6A MCB could be used for that.

It could be.

Will the unit I'm thinking of be ok?.

Probably. What will you be feeding it from?

Does your existing consumer unit have a spare way which could be
used to feed the pump? Could you run a spur from an existing ring
main? Both would be fed via an RCD.

I will also be installing a
towel radiator using the existing pipes from the old radiator

Presumably you have installed a new radiator to provide heating of
the bathroom? Many towel radiators don't provide much heating.

Have you thought of fitting an electric element to the towel rail
for summer use, or feeding the towel rail from the hot water
circuits so it can be activated in summer?

which
didn't seem to be bonded at all. Once I have earthed the bath
framework, should I also connect to the radiator pipework too?

Yes. It doesn't cost much in time or money to do, compared to the
alternative of checking whether it is necessary to do.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:44:48 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

Sorry for the tardy reply David, I've been too busy with the farm for
internetting :-)

wrote this:-

I am completely renovating our bathroom. I've come to installing our
whirpool bath and reading the info sheet that comes with it, it asks
that the pump is connected to the mains via a 30ms RCD and a maximum
rating of 16A. I am thinking of using this:-
It has a 16A MCB which I presume I can use for the bath pump.

Sounds like it.

I also need to supply a lighted mirror in the bathroom and was
thinking that the 6A MCB could be used for that.

It could be.

Will the unit I'm thinking of be ok?.

Probably. What will you be feeding it from?

A feed from the CU which was installed by our electrician when we
installed central heating. It was originally intended to use it to
supply a dual source heated towel rail but I was thinking of hijacking
it for the bath supply.

Does your existing consumer unit have a spare way which could be
used to feed the pump? Could you run a spur from an existing ring
main? Both would be fed via an RCD.

Our existing CU has one free way left but I am not sure that the
isolator switch has and RCD hence my thinking the box I have bought
would provide the protection necessary IF the CU is not protected by
RCD. If the CU _is_ protected by RCD, should I buy a new RCD for my
remote box of a lower ma value so it acts first?

The CU is an MK 12 way but there is no indication on the outside that
it is protectd by RCD, will I need to open it up to check? It's
probably 10-12 years old.

I will also be installing a
towel radiator using the existing pipes from the old radiator

Presumably you have installed a new radiator to provide heating of
the bathroom? Many towel radiators don't provide much heating.

Yes, it is quite a large bathroom and I'll be putting another proper
radiator on the opposite wall.

Have you thought of fitting an electric element to the towel rail
for summer use, or feeding the towel rail from the hot water
circuits so it can be activated in summer?

Yes, I have bought a 400w element from screwfix which they recommend
for the towel rail (also from screwfix).

which
didn't seem to be bonded at all. Once I have earthed the bath
framework, should I also connect to the radiator pipework too?

Yes. It doesn't cost much in time or money to do, compared to the
alternative of checking whether it is necessary to do.

Ok, will do, I was just not sure whether earthing the rads would cause
a problem after reading the DIY FAQ (which I encourage all readers of
this group to peruse).

Many thanks for your advice , it is very much appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:08:02 +0000 someone who may be Jeff
wrote this:-

Our existing CU has one free way left but I am not sure that the
isolator switch has and RCD

If it has a test button then it undoubtedly has an RCD, which will
probably have something like 30mA written on it. The question is
whether any RCD covers every protective device, or just some of
them.

hence my thinking the box I have bought
would provide the protection necessary IF the CU is not protected by
RCD.

Entirely logical.

If the CU _is_ protected by RCD, should I buy a new RCD for my
remote box of a lower ma value so it acts first?

The best way to try and differentiate between RCDs is to make one of
them time-delayed, but this has implications for the rest of the
building. RCDs with a lower rating are available, but may not
reliably discriminate with one of a higher rating, especially if the
ratings are relatively close.

The CU is an MK 12 way but there is no indication on the outside that
it is protectd by RCD, will I need to open it up to check? It's
probably 10-12 years old.

As well as the above see if it is a split unit, which will have a
main switch and an RCD, usually part of the way along the MCBs.

Ok, will do, I was just not sure whether earthing the rads would cause
a problem after reading the DIY FAQ (which I encourage all readers of
this group to peruse).

No need to bond radiators themselves, provided that they are fed by
metal pipes that will have a reliable metal to metal contact with
the radiator and the pipes themselves are bonded.

A towel rail with an electric element is different, because the
towel rail is an item of electrical equipment. The supplementary
bonding can either go to the towel rail itself or it can just go to
the point where the flex from the towel rail is connected to the
fixed wiring. The latter assumes that the protective conductor
(earth wire) in the flex is short and can be relied upon.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh