Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default On finials and lids

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 00:58:32 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

you may wish to eschew polyurethanes - they don't feel right (at least to
me) - lacquer or just oil, and carnuba wax has a much nicer feel - urethanes
are kinda soft and sticky feeling (again, my opinion, ymmv)

Definately an opinion- I actually like spar poly for most of my stuff.
The only finish I prefer is shellac, even though it smells like a wet
dog when sanding and isn't very good for anything that has a chance of
getting wet.

Deft is good stuff, too.

Going out on a limb here- even though I do finish things with wax only
sometimes, doing that feels, well, waxy. And, much stickier feeling
to my paws than a thin coat of a decent poly.