Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default telephone wiring problem

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

positive on green. I think that's the "right" way to do it.

With a white/green pair, it's right. With the older "standard" red/green
pair, the RED is the correct conductor for voltage.

Solid/good continuity to ground with no voltage should occupy the "tip"
conductor. (green of a red/green pair or white of a white/blue)

The "ring" conductor should have -48-52VDC-to-ground on it. You'll notice I
said NEGATIVE 48VDC. Everything in the C.O. battery room is labeled as
NEGATIVE. You tell me. sigh

Most electronic phones have internal rectifiers, so they don't care.

Originally called a "polarity guard" when first introduced, you are correct.

I'd do it right, if possible. Someone might want to use one of those
old phones someday.

Good advise, always.

1. I choose not to remind people of inappropriately replying by email.
This is not email.

I find email replies to my usenet postings a bit annoying. But, only a bit.

2. The correct sig separator line is "-- ".

That is [hyphen] [hyphen] [space] [return] by itself at the beginning of a new
line. That line and everything that follows should NOT be copied/quoted when
using the quote function of a "compliant" newsreader.

Some newsreaders respond properly to that.

Most good newsreaders should. Try quoting this message. (You don't have to
SEND it.) If my sig (smiley, "JR", etc) below is quoted, your newsreader is
NOT compliant with the standard. It's no big deal but quoting sigs is a waste
of bandwidth and is usually extraneous to the topic being discussed.

Tomorrow we will discuss lower-ASCII artwork. Class dismissed. big grin
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel