Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default On finials and lids

Rob McConachie wrote:
Kevin -

For my lidded pot, i took a half a pen blank (as i split up the other half),
turned a small tenon on it and a matching hole in the top of the lid and
superglued them together. that way, the lid never came off the lathe and
stayed round.

just a thought. but, it was a maple pot with a cocobolo finial. not too
bad as it was a nice contrast (and my wife loved it).

Rob

"Kevin" wrote in message
I was turning a top for a box/bowl the other day and thought a bit of
decoration would be nice. I had a piece of hard maple which was turned to
somewhat decorative shape. It could be used as a top of the lid of the
box/bowl. I got to wondering if it just might be easier to make the lid
with the decorative little geegaw on top all of a single piece. I've seen
some where the turner made the box, made the lid, and then glued a little
finial on top. Come to think of it, I guess that way to do it is the way
that seems right at the time.

I just turned one of box elder with a jatoba base and lid / box elder
finial LOTSARED!

I really like this one. I'm thinking of coating it with satin
polyurethane once the oil (walnut) has had a chance to cure. But I'm not
sure I want to sell this one ... it's the pick of the litter so far.

Bill