Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Screwdriver Recommendations

wrote:
It's time I purchased a nice set of screwdrivers for the ol' workbench.
I frequently see large collections of 'em at Costco, but I'm wondering
whether I should go someplace like Sears or Home Depot and pick up a
quality set of a well-known brand? Is a screwdriver a screwdriver, or
are there superior products to be had?

Start with a decent brand 4-in-hand or 4 way driver. The bits
will cover 95% of your needs, plus you can drop them out
and use the empty shaft as a nutdriver. Nothing else will
drive a hex-head straight slot sheet metal screw without
driving you nuts.

Tips on any straight slot driver should be hollow ground, not
tapered. The sides of the hollow ground tip are effectively
parallel where they engage the screw, and will not jump
out of the screw head as soon as you apply any degree of
torque. Taper ground tips can be hollow ground on a
bench grinder, however. Either design tip should have its
corners ground or filed back to 45 degrees if you intend to use
it with flat head wood screws or hinge screws.