Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kellyj00@gmail.com is offline

Default Do you work with STEEL? Help me with a --RIVETING project for some shelves I'm building . . .

Wanna save some trouble and time?
Just go ahead and get "beams" longer than you need, then cut A SECTION
FROM THE MIDDLE to make them the right length using a die grinder or a
dremel with a metal cutting wheel then take them down to have them
welded at a machine shop.

Or, you could just have them mess with welding rivets, but that's going
to be expensive and the point of failure. As an amature welder, I can
almost guarantee two things... 1) these beams are "low carbon" steel
and are more prone to bending instead of breaking, which is easier to
weld but doesn't have near as much strength. 2) fitting a mig head or
tig head under that rivet is going to be tough. I'd go ahead and
drill from the back and weld them in that way, but this would raise the
carbon content of the rivet (the point of maximum pressure)

I guarantee your better off having a fella weld a straight seem like
that...especially low carbon steel that has been prepped (as in it's
clean of paint, rust) with a wire wheel before it makes it to my shop.
If you bring in a bunch of these beams at once, and they're all
prepped properly the job should cost you a grand total of about $2-$5 a
piece, depending on how busy the shop is that afternoon.