Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Mistakes or sloppy work

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:09:21 GMT, wrote:

I was at Walmart the other day getting a tire repaired. As I wandered
around the store, I came up the 'furniture' aisle and saw an
unfinished spruce/pine chest. It was crudely made of rough milled
(read construction wood) and warped 1x4, rough cut ends, badly fitted
and nailed together with a pallet nail gun. Only 49$. This thing
makes Ikea knock down furniture look like heirloom craftmanship.

Puts a whole new perspective on things. The next time I beat myself
up for the flaws I see in my finished stuff I'll go wandering through
Walmart.

I got to get out more.

Pete

I feel that's a poor way of looking at things, Pete. Go out and find
the worst presentation of things so you can feel better about your own
shortcomings? I'd hate to think what will happen if you are exposed to
a prison.
I try to look the other direction.
When I was younger I spent many hours at the library. I was not
checking out books but studying the woodwork. My hometown had a
library with elaborate oak molding that ran into shelving, readng
desks, window trim and a small set of stairs. I was in awe of the
carpenter who did the work. I worked so hard to make my work measure
up.
Even when carpenters look at my work and compliment, I am not
satisfied because I know where the flaws are - and they are always
there if perfection is our only standard.