Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead simple plumbing/hot water question

In article ,
alexbartman wrote:
Well I'm not a regular contributor - but regular browser of this forum
and its kind of hard to follow all the inane "banter"

It's quite easy really - just ignore Drivel except when he gives some
reference to a new bit of kit he's got from a catalogue. That can be
useful for those who don't have the time to do nothing else but read such
things. For advice on whether it might be of use, look elsewhere. Plenty
of truly skilled and objective advice here from both those working in the
industry and skilled amateurs.

however - the main point is that

a) it would be more "efficient" for the OP to install a high pressure
System

Depends on how you'd define 'efficiency'. If it's a simple matter of
energy in to energy out that *might* be the case. If it means an efficient
system for your needs other factors apply.

b) failing this, totally re-run the pipework from the cylinder and use a
frankly grotesque tap from the screwfic catalogue last seen in a school
kitchen c.1978

Bit like the argument between some low energy lamps and filament types?

The truth is that fancy-schmantzy taps that look good in a nice modern
kitchen generally are designed for high pressure systems only. From the
Sheds to fleabay they;re all the same mass prioduced continental crap -
I had to take back three taps to B&Q as they leaked very very slightly
causing it to drip - v annoying. I sense the OP like me did not want to
rip out his entire central heating system in order to install a tap and
was probably unwilling to use a nasty looking one "designed" for gravity
fed systems. The pump - as it happens with a total cost £20 is a pretty
good half-way house. The pressure is much better (not perfect of
course) and now my nice tap that looks nice on my nice sink in my nice
kitchen works.

Since I have a three story house with the tank as high as possible, the
difference in my case wasn't great. But adding the pump was worth it too.

I thought this was a DIY forum - and should therefore
give people practical advice to questions that are perplexing them -
there are many solutions to the OPs original dilemma - it would seem
that most of the suggestions are perfectly valid (including my own I
think) and the OP can choose which route to follow according to how much
time and effort he is perpared to put into the solution. BTW having one
pump on one tap - I dont know what the difference is between this and
having a single pump on a single shower which I have too and cant
believe is particularly uncommon??

Dribble delights in giving the most convoluted half baked answers to the
simplest problems. Probably in an attempt to show his 'superior'
knowledge. Luckily, he's just about the only one, so just follow the
majority advice.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW