Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default telephone wiring problem

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:50:40 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

And if you have 6-conductor wire

AKA 3-pair cable.

the third pair is blue/white.

Or it could be considered the FIRST pair.

Not when "first" is already being used for the one in the middle
(red/green).

That is the standard color code.

Uh, "standard" in this context is debatable.

I just bought some 6-wire phone cable. The colors are white, black,
red, green, yellow, blue.

BTW, It wasn't actually for phone use but holiday light control. Of
course, the cable didn't know that in the store :-)

R/G (Red/Green)
Y/Bk (Yellow/Black)

...WAS the color code (standard) used in basic station wiring for many, MANY
years. Most RJ11/14 jacks available today still use these colors. This fact
confuses MANY do-it-yourselfers when they replace a jack in a home wired with
more contemporary cable:

1 - White/Blue (usually green/red on the back of a jack)
2 - White/Orange (usually black/yellow on the back of a jack)
3 - White/Green
4 - White/Brown
5 - White/Slate
6 - Red/Blue
7 - Red/Orange
8 - Red/Green
9 - Red/Brown
10 - Red/Slate

That does sound more practical when you need that many pairs.

It may not match what you actually have.

You said it. Then there's the homes built during the first 6-7 years after
the breakup of The Mean, Evil Bell System Monopoly (1984): Most of these
homes were (and still are) wired with non-standard wire with NO twist =
crosstalk if two lines occupy the same cable.

Just the other day I worked on yet another house with immediate-post-1984
cable that was finished by a clueless person. Looking for red/green in the
cable, and not finding a red, they used the ORANGE conductor of the
white/orange pair. Of course, they grabbed the green conductor of pair 3 (see
above) so now there are two, split pairs in the four-pair cable.

Further screwing-up in their attempt to connect to the yellow/black leads on
the back of the jack, they used the RING+ conductor of the two, remaining
intact pairs. IOW, all four pairs were "split". Not bad with one line but a
total disaster with more than one line. (The fix for such a travesty usually
involves removing and rewiring EVERY jack in the home.)

I remember one house that had these 3 pairs:

green/green stripe
blue/blue stripe
orange/orange stripe

You have it right, but ordered 3,1,2.

I don't remember which one was actually used. The house I'm in how
uses standard colors.

I do remember I had to find the correct pair once, to connect a jack.
The house (built around 1969) had wires going to each bedroom, but no
jacks (there was only one phone installed then, a wall phone which was
hardwired). I used a 300-ohm speaker as a tester.

Suffice it to say that the "standard" is NOT r/g + y/b anymore. That works
just fine with one or two lines but, when building a 900-pair cable,

At that point, I'm trying to imagine how hard that cable would be to
handle.

it didn't
fly worth a darn. So "they" invented the scheme I listed above (to pair 10).
I thought I wouldn't bore you with the color code for pairs 11-25. g

Try this: R+R/G+Y/Br (red "super group" + red/green binder [group] +
yellow/brown pair. That's pair 794, I think. (I hate cable splicing.)

Digital Phone Servicetm? Fine. Yeah, right. Show me a DIGITAL phone.

In the same way, there's no digital TV sets. Both sound and light need
to be in analog, suitable for human senses.

Talk about backwards-compatibility: Buy a 1930s-vintage telephone at a garage
sale. Assuming it is in working condition, you can take it home, connect it
and take/make calls today. Whoopee!

An old phone would be a way to keep little kids from making calls.
They won't be able to find the pushbuttons.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams