Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default telephone wiring problem

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

And if you have 6-conductor wire

AKA 3-pair cable.

the third pair is blue/white.

Or it could be considered the FIRST pair.

That is the standard color code.

Uh, "standard" in this context is debatable.

R/G (Red/Green)
Y/Bk (Yellow/Black)

....WAS the color code (standard) used in basic station wiring for many, MANY
years. Most RJ11/14 jacks available today still use these colors. This fact
confuses MANY do-it-yourselfers when they replace a jack in a home wired with
more contemporary cable:

1 - White/Blue (usually green/red on the back of a jack)
2 - White/Orange (usually black/yellow on the back of a jack)
3 - White/Green
4 - White/Brown
5 - White/Slate
6 - Red/Blue
7 - Red/Orange
8 - Red/Green
9 - Red/Brown
10 - Red/Slate

It may not match what you actually have.

You said it. Then there's the homes built during the first 6-7 years after
the breakup of The Mean, Evil Bell System Monopoly (1984): Most of these
homes were (and still are) wired with non-standard wire with NO twist =
crosstalk if two lines occupy the same cable.

Just the other day I worked on yet another house with immediate-post-1984
cable that was finished by a clueless person. Looking for red/green in the
cable, and not finding a red, they used the ORANGE conductor of the
white/orange pair. Of course, they grabbed the green conductor of pair 3 (see
above) so now there are two, split pairs in the four-pair cable.

Further screwing-up in their attempt to connect to the yellow/black leads on
the back of the jack, they used the RING+ conductor of the two, remaining
intact pairs. IOW, all four pairs were "split". Not bad with one line but a
total disaster with more than one line. (The fix for such a travesty usually
involves removing and rewiring EVERY jack in the home.)

I remember one house that had these 3 pairs:

green/green stripe
blue/blue stripe
orange/orange stripe

You have it right, but ordered 3,1,2.

I don't remember which one was actually used. The house I'm in how
uses standard colors.

Suffice it to say that the "standard" is NOT r/g + y/b anymore. That works
just fine with one or two lines but, when building a 900-pair cable, it didn't
fly worth a darn. So "they" invented the scheme I listed above (to pair 10).
I thought I wouldn't bore you with the color code for pairs 11-25. g

Try this: R+R/G+Y/Br (red "super group" + red/green binder [group] +
yellow/brown pair. That's pair 794, I think. (I hate cable splicing.)

Digital Phone Servicetm? Fine. Yeah, right. Show me a DIGITAL phone.

Talk about backwards-compatibility: Buy a 1930s-vintage telephone at a garage
sale. Assuming it is in working condition, you can take it home, connect it
and take/make calls today. Whoopee!
--

JR