Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Screwdriver Recommendations

wrote:
It's time I purchased a nice set of screwdrivers for the ol'
workbench. I frequently see large collections of 'em at Costco, but
I'm wondering whether I should go someplace like Sears or Home Depot
and pick up a quality set of a well-known brand? Is a screwdriver a
screwdriver, or are there superior products to be had?

-Fleemo

Screwdrivers vary in two places: The handle and the tip (well, that's pretty
much it).

The manufacturer can stamp out a screwdriver from pot metal, or go to
exacting lengths in fashioning the tip.

A quality tip will be made of the right kind of metal to hold an exacting
temper such that it won't bend, dull, or warp under tension while at the
same time not be so brittle as to crack or break. For Phillips, sufficient
iron content to hold a magnetic charge is a plus. The quality screwdriver
will have a precision shape to properly engage the screw.

In actual use, you'll appreciate a quality screwdriver perhaps 20% of the
time; that is, a piece of junk will suffice for most jobs.

If you have a high frustration threshold, buy the junk. If you simply cannot
tolerate exasperation or botched projects, go for the quality.