Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Mistakes or sloppy work

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
RayV wrote:
bf wrote:

Walmart has also been busted numerous times for paying below minimum
wage to illegal aliens.

Have a source for that statement?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...mployment.html

That's busted once and according to that source most of the "illegal aliens"
were in the employ of third-party contractors.

So show us the "numerous times".

Some of Walmart's practices are just plain sketchy. It's not good
business, and it's certainly not what people would consider "the
American Way".

From one article:

"One of the class representatives in the New York lawsuit, Maria Gamble
of Suffolk County, New York, claims that while she worked at Wal-Mart
as a customer service manager, Wal-Mart supervisors locked her in the
store with her co-employees after the store closed when all employees
were "off-the-clock." Ms. Gamble described her experiences at Wal-Mart:

Locking someone in a store would be a violation of Section 135.05 of the
Laws of New York (unlawful imprisonment), and depending on the class of
occupancy would probably be a violation of Section 27-371 of the NYC
Administrative Code as well. Since egress in case of fire was prevented
that might also elevate the offense to Unlawful Imprisonment in the First
Degree, which is a Class E felony that could have the manager in the slammer
for four years.

Personally if my boss locked me in a store with no way out I'd call the cops
and if I had no way of doing that I'd pull the fire alarm and explain the
problem to the fire chief after he got through busting the door down.

"When I worked at Wal-Mart, we were routinely expected to work at
times when we were not paid. The worst part of this was we were
locked-in to the store at night. Every week, I worked at least one
shift that went from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. When the
store closed at the end of my shift, the manager or the person closing
the store would lock the exterior doors but the hourly employees like
me would have to remain in the store and restock merchandise and count
out the cash registers, even though we had already clocked off and were
not getting paid. The tasks we had to do after the store closed always
took at least an hour-and-a-half, and often two hours. The doors
weren't unlocked until the work was completed. There were other ways in
which I wasn't paid for time I was working, as well, such as mandatory
attendance at unpaid meetings, and times I had to work through lunch
and breaks."

They've also cost a lot of Americans jobs by
encouraging/helping/forcing manufacturers to move overseas.

State Governments have to pay a lot of money in health care benefits to
those walmart workers that don't have insurance.. that's your and my
money.

Only uninsured Wal Mart employees get health care from the taxpayers?

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._walmart.shtml

Walmart keeps pushing everything down. Sounds great, right? What's
not to like about low low prices? It's how they're pushing down and
what gets squeezed out.

I had to laugh at the comments about no one holding a gun to Walmart
employees' heads. Walmart comes in and a bunch of businesses go out.
Due to the economies of scale, which dictates everything that Walmart
does, they don't need as many employees as the other stores would have
required. Those out of work people are now looking for jobs to support
their families and the jobs that are available in the area are Walmart
jobs paying substantially lower wages. Ask yourself the question, what
would you do if you were on one of the lower rungs of the economic
ladder and needed to put food on the table. You'd do about anything -
even work for Walmart.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Walmart's practices only
affect the employees. If you want to contrast their employment
practices with another, similar warehouse store, check out Costco.
Entirely different corporate culture, far better employment practices
and still damn profitable. That's the American way.