Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

Correct, the two OR MORE small appliance circuits can't serve any other
outlets except the "receptacle outlets" listed and you can add other outlets
in these areas that are not part of the requirement. My reply was to a guy
that wanted to add a lighting outlet to the SAME circuit as a small
appliance receptacle is on

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Seth
Goodman wrote:
In article , on Thu, 16
Nov 2006 00:59:50 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove

wrote:
The NEC prohibits installing lights on kitchen outlet circuits, other
than
ones plugged into the outlets

I don't think that's correct -- do you have a Code cite for it? I see
where
the Code prohibits other *outlets* on those circuits (e.g. in other
rooms),
but I don't see a prohibition against lighting.

PMFJI, but please see 2005 NEC 210.23(A)

Quote:

(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit
shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization
equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1)
and (A)(2).

Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits,
and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)
(1), (C)(2), and (C)(3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets
specified in that section.

Right... but since Code requires two small appliance circuits in a
kitchen, a
*third* outlet circuit could supply virtually any other loads as well,
because
that third circuit is not a "small appliance branch circuit ... required
by 210.11(C) ..." and thus not subject to that restriction.

--
Regards,