Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

In article , Seth Goodman wrote:
In article , on Thu, 16
Nov 2006 00:59:50 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove

wrote:
The NEC prohibits installing lights on kitchen outlet circuits, other than
ones plugged into the outlets

I don't think that's correct -- do you have a Code cite for it? I see where
the Code prohibits other *outlets* on those circuits (e.g. in other rooms),
but I don't see a prohibition against lighting.

PMFJI, but please see 2005 NEC 210.23(A)

Quote:

(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit
shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization
equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1)
and (A)(2).

Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits,
and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)
(1), (C)(2), and (C)(3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets
specified in that section.

Right... but since Code requires two small appliance circuits in a kitchen, a
*third* outlet circuit could supply virtually any other loads as well, because
that third circuit is not a "small appliance branch circuit ... required ...
by 210.11(C) ..." and thus not subject to that restriction.

--
Regards,