Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Horton Rob Horton is offline

Default Dead simple plumbing/hot water question

John Law wrote:
Hi all

The hot water pressure in our kitchen is awful: we have to wait maybe 90
secs for the really hot water to come through from the tank upstairs.
On the other hand, it takes a few seconds only for the water to come to
the upstairs basin.

So far, so fairly bleeding obvious. (Additionally: the kitchen tap is
one of those fancy pull lever up and swing left or right for hot or
cold, on a long flexible pipe so you can hose the dishes, and with a
press-button spray system; and goodness knows (I've forgotten) what
convolutions the feed pipe goes through on its way from upstairs to
down.)

My question: what would The Panel suggest, as a means of improving
reaction time downstairs? Get rid of the fancy tap? Look at and
improve the route? or could I perhaps replace the standard 15mm pipe
with 22mm pipe?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions -- [for those who saw the thread: I
am no Jackie].

John

Undo the end of your mixer tap and remove the several layers of wire
meshing. I had these in mine and they created resistance to water flow.
I think they are there to create a nice even distribution of water from
the tap.

When I looked at mine I was horrified to find lots of nasty gungey stuff
all over them. Probably came from the header tank and captured by these
wire meshes. Yuk! Our drinking water also passed through that stuff. I
don't think mixer taps are very hygienic since your drinking/cold water
will pass through the same pipe as the hot water. Also, they waste
water. If you want cold you have to run it to get rid of the stored hot
(although rapidly cooling) water. I you want hot, you have to run it to
get rid of the cold.

Anyway, I digress. I removed the wire meshes and was left with a simple
plastic filter with reasonable holes. Water flow was greatly improved
and now has a nice distribution of little jets, a bit like a small
shower. Watch out for the cold, it'll really shoot out now!