Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

On 15 Nov 2006 12:48:36 -0800, "The Reverend Natural Light"
wrote:

All the 15A outlets at the big stores are actually rated to 20A but
only have 15A plugs. That is required by code, from what I understand.
Thus, you can use them on a 20A circuit. In fact, if you look at a
15A GFCI outlet, you'll see that they rate the secondary feed circuit
(the tabs for more outlets) at 20A.

I think they's call that a 20A GFCI.

Mikey S. states an interesting point about a duplex outlet being 2
devices. I wasn't sure how that works with code, so I just put in a
real 20A GFCI duplex outlet on the dedicated circuit in my new
bathroom. The uncertainty wasn't worth possibly failing an inspection.
Now it's the only place in the house where I could plug in my arc
welder!

-rev

tr wrote:
I am redoing my kitchen. All of the duplex outlets are on two 20 amp
12 awg wire breakers. However...all of the old outlets are rated for
15 amp circuits ? I have come across this in kitchens many times
before.

Can you use duplexes rated for 15 amps in the kitchen with 20 amp
breakers...fed by 12 awg wires ? Is this a common practice and OK via
NEC...or should you use the 20 amp duplexes with the horizontal little
plug fitting on the receptacles ?

Thanks, TR

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams