Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default How to make, where to buy, order 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHzcrystal/ceramic resonators

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Don Lancaster wrote:

la-la wrote:
Hi,

how to make a crystal /ceramic oscilator for a specicfied frequency in
kHz range ?
Is it posssible to make one on myself, or find someone to make it ?
What is a minimum order quantity for a crystal/c eramic resonator for a
specified frequency (kHz) ?
Please help me.

We have many tens of thousands of crystal oscillator modules in stock at
fifty cents each.

Our lowest frequencies are 28.8 kHz, 108 kHz, 153.6 kHz, 250 kHz, 256
kHz, 307.2 kHz, 326.4 kHz plus hundreds of higher frequencies.

In general, it is usually cheaper and simpler to use a higher frequency
and a CMOS binary divider.

Also in general, if your system does not use a crystal frequency of
32.768 kHz or 3.59545 MHz, you should flush it and start over.

So, if I need a 4 MHz clock for a CPU, I should scrap it and make it a
lot more complex to use a color burst crystal? How about those 10- MHz
frequency standards? Show me a SIMPLE design for a TCXO to proved a low
distortion 10 MHz signal from a 3.5795454545 crystal. Yes, i know that
it can be done, but why? There are dozens of common, off the shelf
crystal frequencies that are dirt cheap.

In reality TV crystals are no cheaper than other popular frequencies.

I've normally used 4, 8, 12 and 16 MHz for my microcontoller designs and there
have been no problems either sourcing them or with the price.

Graham