Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
la-la la-la is offline

Default How to make, where to buy, order 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz crystal/ ceramic resonators

thanks whit3rd.
Tuning fork is exactly what I need but still as an electronic
component.
Is it possible to place an order for a specified frequency tuned tuning
fork
or retune, fine retune one already manufactured.
Is machining, laser burning a good way to retune one tuning work to a
preferred frequency ?
Clock resonators are quite small (built as tuning forks).
Does it mean I can expect 5Khz, 10Khz, 15Khz tuning fork to be of the
like size ?
And is it feasible to place an order for a sample of pretuned kHz
tuning forks with one company, lab or a private person and them
manufactured and develivered at a reasonable price and in foreseeable
future ?
Thanks once again for your kind input.

wrote:
la-la wrote:

how to make a crystal /ceramic oscilator for a specified frequency in
kHz range ?

The speed of sound in quartz is (depending on shear vs. compression
wave)
400 to 600 m/second; so a quartz slab resonant at 3.579 MHz is a tenth
of
a millimeter thick. Those (AT cut typically) are mass-produced for
television
sets, and are inexpensive and available off the shelf.

At 15 kHz, an AT quartz resonator would need to be (in size) about 200
times that,
2 cm thick (and broader than it is thick, so it'd be a Frisbee-sized
disk). They don't
make those, as far as I know. Normal mortals couldn't afford one.

For wris****ches, a tuning-fork is used, and one can micromachine it
from quartz
and laser-trim its weighted tines for frequency and couple to it using
the quartz
material's piezoelectric properties. Those are mechanical oscillators
with
non-quartz parts, but they still get called 'quartz resonators'. The
common
frequencies are mass-produced, and that means 32.000 kHz and 32.768
are available, but not the lower frequencies you ask about.

The typical resonators used for 5 kHz are tuning forks and guitar
strings, or they
aren't mechanical at all...