Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Dead simple plumbing/hot water question

"EricP" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:15:56 +0000, John Law
wrote:

Hi all

The hot water pressure in our kitchen is awful: we have to wait maybe 90
secs for the really hot water to come through from the tank upstairs.
On the other hand, it takes a few seconds only for the water to come to
the upstairs basin.

So far, so fairly bleeding obvious. (Additionally: the kitchen tap is
one of those fancy pull lever up and swing left or right for hot or
cold, on a long flexible pipe so you can hose the dishes, and with a
press-button spray system; and goodness knows (I've forgotten) what
convolutions the feed pipe goes through on its way from upstairs to
down.)

My question: what would The Panel suggest, as a means of improving
reaction time downstairs? Get rid of the fancy tap? Look at and
improve the route? or could I perhaps replace the standard 15mm pipe
with 22mm pipe?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions -- [for those who saw the thread: I
am no Jackie].

John

I think you have largely answered your own question.

You appear to have a number of unsatisfactory points in this system.

A tap designed for mains type pressure not low pressure.

A very convoluted pipe run with bends that slow the flow.

Narrow pipework.

Presumably the feed tank is in the roof? You could look at raising
this. Even a few feet might make a difference in the pressure
available.

A few feet? No. Best he gets the right type of mixer tap. Low pressure hot
and high pressure cold. The are cheap enough and cheaper than a booster
pump for just one tap, which is a very silly idea.

If there is a DHW lag after, not pressure then use a Grundfos Comfort
secondary circulation pump. A pipe has to be taken back to the cylinder - it
can be very small bore - and have all the tap off this loop then instant DHW
at the taps.