Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

All the 15A outlets at the big stores are actually rated to 20A but
only have 15A plugs. That is required by code, from what I understand.
Thus, you can use them on a 20A circuit. In fact, if you look at a
15A GFCI outlet, you'll see that they rate the secondary feed circuit
(the tabs for more outlets) at 20A.

Mikey S. states an interesting point about a duplex outlet being 2
devices. I wasn't sure how that works with code, so I just put in a
real 20A GFCI duplex outlet on the dedicated circuit in my new
bathroom. The uncertainty wasn't worth possibly failing an inspection.
Now it's the only place in the house where I could plug in my arc
welder!

-rev

tr wrote:
I am redoing my kitchen. All of the duplex outlets are on two 20 amp
12 awg wire breakers. However...all of the old outlets are rated for
15 amp circuits ? I have come across this in kitchens many times
before.

Can you use duplexes rated for 15 amps in the kitchen with 20 amp
breakers...fed by 12 awg wires ? Is this a common practice and OK via
NEC...or should you use the 20 amp duplexes with the horizontal little
plug fitting on the receptacles ?

Thanks, TR