Backlash

Default Advice needed wet basement

Damn! I'm glad we don't have many basements around here! I thought getting
flooded was bad....

RJ

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
(sandiapaul) wrote:

Don't try to talk my out
of the place that isn't going to happen...

There's a problem. There is always another house, putting blinders on
("falling in love with", etc) when buying is begging to get screwed.
Keep looking and you might find a really nice shop with an acceptable
house, rather than a swamp with a house on it.

What can I do to minimize
the rust effects on my machines and tools down there? De-humidifiers,
heat, ventilation...whatever you have tried and works.

Excavate around the entire house to the bottom of the sills. Waterproof
the basement walls (which probably includes pouring concrete on the old
rock ones). Have a drain mat system placed against the outside of the
basement wall (can be part of the waterproofing process). Lay drain tile
all around the house draining away from the house - if this cannot be
done without a pump, you are screwed - a pump is no match for mother
nature, but your electric utility will enjoy having you give it a try.
Backfill with rock; place barrier fabric, landscape the ground to slope
away frem the house. Inside, lay plastic on the current floor and pour a
new floor. Expensive - should be factored into the incredible low-ball
price which will be your top offer on the house. Interior drains and
sump pumps are costly to run, prone to fail, and don't do a thing for
the water vapor. Dehumidifires and air conditioners deal with the water
vaopr, but need to be quite large to make any dent in the influx for a
house with the water problems you have described, and will also keep
your electric utility very happy for years to come.

Far cheaper - build an above ground shop, use the basement as a mushroom
farm. If that's out of the question, you're buying an expensive headache.