Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

"tr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am redoing my kitchen. All of the duplex outlets are on two 20 amp
12 awg wire breakers. However...all of the old outlets are rated for
15 amp circuits ? I have come across this in kitchens many times
before.

Can you use duplexes rated for 15 amps in the kitchen with 20 amp
breakers...fed by 12 awg wires ? Is this a common practice and OK via
NEC...or should you use the 20 amp duplexes with the horizontal little
plug fitting on the receptacles ?

15a outlets are fine, unless there is just one outlet on the circuit; then
it has to be 20a.
Only reason to have a 20a outlet is to fit a 20a plug.