Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

In article ,
says...
tr wrote:
I am redoing my kitchen. All of the duplex outlets are on two 20 amp
12 awg wire breakers. However...all of the old outlets are rated for
15 amp circuits ? I have come across this in kitchens many times
before.

Can you use duplexes rated for 15 amps in the kitchen with 20 amp
breakers...fed by 12 awg wires ? Is this a common practice and OK via
NEC...or should you use the 20 amp duplexes with the horizontal little
plug fitting on the receptacles ?

Thanks, TR

Yes, 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit is perfectly fine. You may
not put a *single* 15A receptacle on a 20A circuit.

Personally I would replace them with 20amp outlets, good ones, not the
37¢ contractor specials.

In the kitchen, maybe. I'd go for better outlets there, but I
don't think I'd bother with 20A outlets.

Use the screw clamp terminals not the stab connects.

I agree 100%. I *never* use the stabs. I do like the ones where
the screw clamps the wire though. Almost as quick as the stabs but
as secure as a wire properly fastened by the screw.

I am really fuzzy about it, but as I recall it is OK to use the
15amp outlets, but I just would not do it so I am not really sure.

It's fine. 15A outlets are rated for 20A feed through.

--
Keith