Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default kitchen circuits 15 amp vs 20 amp outlets

tr wrote:
I am redoing my kitchen. All of the duplex outlets are on two 20 amp
12 awg wire breakers. However...all of the old outlets are rated for
15 amp circuits ? I have come across this in kitchens many times
before.

Can you use duplexes rated for 15 amps in the kitchen with 20 amp
breakers...fed by 12 awg wires ? Is this a common practice and OK via
NEC...or should you use the 20 amp duplexes with the horizontal little
plug fitting on the receptacles ?

Thanks, TR

Personally I would replace them with 20amp outlets, good ones, not the
37¢ contractor specials. Use the screw clamp terminals not the stab
connects. I am really fuzzy about it, but as I recall it is OK to use the
15amp outlets, but I just would not do it so I am not really sure.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit