Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe Ron Lowe is offline

Default Dead simple plumbing/hot water question

"John Law" wrote in message
Hi all

The hot water pressure in our kitchen is awful: we have to wait maybe 90
secs for the really hot water to come through from the tank upstairs.
On the other hand, it takes a few seconds only for the water to come to
the upstairs basin.

So far, so fairly bleeding obvious. (Additionally: the kitchen tap is
one of those fancy pull lever up and swing left or right for hot or
cold, on a long flexible pipe so you can hose the dishes, and with a
press-button spray system; and goodness knows (I've forgotten) what
convolutions the feed pipe goes through on its way from upstairs to
down.)

My question: what would The Panel suggest, as a means of improving
reaction time downstairs? Get rid of the fancy tap? Look at and
improve the route? or could I perhaps replace the standard 15mm pipe
with 22mm pipe?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions -- [for those who saw the thread: I
am no Jackie].

John

I have a tap exactly like that, and when we were looking for these online, I
noticed that they were all specified for High Pressure systems only.

Is your hot water system a mains-pressure system, or does it rely on a
header tank in the loft?

From your initial description of awfull pressure, then I guess it is not
mains pressure.

If it is a mains pressure system, then the time lag is just down to pipe
length, and replscing 15mm with 22mm will increase the time lag, since
there's going tobe a greater pipe volume to flush through with hot water.

If your hot water system is not mains pressure, ( which I suspect is the
case ), the you have probably installed a tap that is incompatable with your
system. In this case, there are only 3 solutions: replace the tap, replace
the hot water system, or install a pump in the hot supply at the tap. (
This solution will be greeted with a certain amount of derision in a few
moments... )

--
Ron