Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer Noozer is offline

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or...will people ever learn to ignore the trolls?

http://www.bbb.org/alerts/article.asp?ID=510

I'm not endorsing Mrs Clean's 99% claim which is clearly
over the top, but evidence of a problem is hard and real.

You're preaching to the choir, brother. As in most everything in life,
there is a small percentage of crooked people that taint any, and
every, industry. It has absolutely nothing to do with the troll
posting, other than being convenient fodder for people without the
creativity to come up with something original.

Just to add my experience...

It is ALWAYS cheaper for me to do ANY job I need around my home. Even if I
do it wrong and need to tear it out ten times, it's still cheaper.

Why? Because nobody will even return a phonecall to discuss the job, let
alone come and see the job.

It took a year of active looking to find someone to build my garage. I had
to wait a year before they started.

I made several calls to companies in the Yellow Pages to finish my basement
and have yet to get a call back. My message? "This is Steve at 555-1212. I'm
looking to have my basement finished. It's 18'x24', insulated and vapor
barrier. No ceiling and concrete floor. Can you get back to me to make
arrangements for this please?"

I want to add a 12'x12' to 15'x15' solarium at the rear of my home and I'm
dreading the work I'll put into it - either trying to find someone, or doing
it myself.