Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or do they pull the same ruses on men?

"Banty" wrote in message
In article . com, MRS.
CLEAN
says...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do contractors bluff their way into men's lives in the same fashion
that they do women?

Or, are men smarter than women on projects?

I think women are sometimes hesitant to keep asking questions until they
understand what they're paying for. I was never totally knowledgeable
about
everything I've paid for (major car repairs, furnace/AC, electrical),
but
one of my criteria for hiring people has always been to insist on
someone
who is willing and able to answer questions.

This is the A-number one thing that works for me - someone who I can
communicate
with. Someone who has some enthusiasm about what he's doing is a plus.

I've met a few carpenters who were great mathematicians. It irks me when I
hear people say "Some kids aren't college material - they end up in the
trades". Excuse me? Like being a master carpenter is 3 steps below a
stockbroker?

Maybe he honestly didn't know - he may find he needs to add circuits,
etc., if
he finds poor work there before him.

My previous house was a perfect example of endless unknowns. The first
electrical mods I made were in the garage, where I found modern wire. So, I
figured "OK....next, put a dimmer in the dining room - 20 minutes". Not. The
rest of the house had this ancient wire whose insulation crumbled when it
was exposed the light of day after removing the switch covers. Dimmer: 2
hours.