Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or do they pull the same ruses on men?

In article . com, MRS. CLEAN
says...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do contractors bluff their way into men's lives in the same fashion
that they do women?

Or, are men smarter than women on projects?

I think women are sometimes hesitant to keep asking questions until they
understand what they're paying for. I was never totally knowledgeable about
everything I've paid for (major car repairs, furnace/AC, electrical), but
one of my criteria for hiring people has always been to insist on someone
who is willing and able to answer questions.

This is the A-number one thing that works for me - someone who I can communicate
with. Someone who has some enthusiasm about what he's doing is a plus.

You can often stack the odds in your favor by getting referrals from other
people who've been happy with a particular contractor. If you can't find
friends who've used a certain type of service, do what someone did in a
large office where I used to work: She put notes on the mirrors in the men's
& women's bathrooms, saying she was looking for a good electrician. The
place was too big and too busy for her to walk around checking with
everyone.

I remember asking specifically how long the job would take (electrical
svc panel) and he said "I don't know." He actually refused to give an
estimate on labor. We all know that this job should take 2-3 hrs. He
then said about the same as parts (labor).

That is $333 per hour.

Does it say stupid on my forehead? Don't pee on my leg and tell me
it's raining.

"We all know" ...what?

Maybe he honestly didn't know - he may find he needs to add circuits, etc., if
he finds poor work there before him.

Or maybe he's a jerk.

Either way, thank him, jot some notes on the estimate and keep it with the
written estimate, then call two more electricians.

Maybe he's judged you as a PITA and has given the price he feels makes it
worthwhile. Or not. You might be the sweetest lady in the world.

You just have to do some groundwork when you hire someone. Just like any other
business or person that hires work out or obtains employees. Dunno how you
expect to get around that. Contractors are humans, not plug-compatible fixit
unitoids.

Banty