Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or do they pull the same ruses on men?

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...

Many stereotypes about women are correct.

Why do we need to learn the job?

Why do we need to get several estimates?

Because the stereotype on contractors are true.

Not just for women though. Unless you are well aware of who you are dealing
with, proceed with caution. I'm getting estimates on a siding job. Large
old building, more than the typical house. I'm getting at least three
quotes. So far, one is $35,000, next is $48,000, and another is $89,000.
How do you decide? All of these companies have been in business for 20+
years, so you figure they know what is involved.

My guess is the cheapest does not realize the complexity, the highest is
over allowing for little problems that will come up. The middle price, I'm
just not sure about. If two were close, I'd decide on the basis of who I
thought would be the better contractor. Give or take a thousand dollars is
not much on a job of that magnitude. But a difference of over 200% makes
you wonder just who is right.

Another factor is the time to quote. One took a week, one took over two
weeks and two visits, another took less than four hours. Does that
determine who is the most interested or the most competent?