Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or do they pull the same ruses on men?

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
Many stereotypes about women are correct.

Why do we need to learn the job?

Why do we need to get several estimates?

Because the stereotype on contractors are true.

RicodJour wrote:
MRS. CLEAN wrote:
Do contractors bluff their way into men's lives in the same fashion
that they do women?

Or, are men smarter than women on projects?

I don't see the point in stereotyping contractors anymore than
stereotyping women.

It isn't stereotypes of women so much as that women in general have a
totally different life experience. Few of them have the 'fix-it'
background to be knowledgeable about the building trades. As for the
'How much':

I won't sign a contract on a 'cost plus' basis if it includes labor as
part of the cost - that is opening the door to a raid on your pocket
book. Now if it is 'cost plus a perecentage of material costs' that is
a different matter.

I prefer contracts on the 'total cost' so I know exactly what I will be
paying. Of course I expect the contractor to build in a fudge factor
and I may pay more than a 'cost plus' but...

Harry K