Spehro Pefhany

Default Advice needed wet basement

On 29 Jan 2004 07:49:11 -0800, the renowned
(sandiapaul) wrote:

OK guys, here is the story. I found a lovely Swedish botanist,
proposed, and now at 43 I'm getting married.

Congratulations.

We found a great house,
well nearly great. The original part of the house is from 1820 and
it's basement has water seepage into the new (15 year old) walkout 21
x 24 basement. The owner put a trench(french drain) around the
perimeter of the newer slab and a sump pump to get rid of the water.
By close inspection the new part does not seem to have seen any water
on the floor, but the trench certainly has. Don't try to talk my out
of the place that isn't going to happen...What can I do to minimize
the rust effects on my machines and tools down there? De-humidifiers,
heat, ventilation...whatever you have tried and works.

Got some guys to inject polyurethane into a couple of cracks along one
wall of our relatively new (10-12 years) house, and it works. The sump
pump runs a lot, especially in the spring, but the basement has stayed
dry for over a year. They drill holes and inject the PU through
nozzles that they leave stuck into the wall.

This would be a GOOD business to go into. The results are good, the
price they charge is HIGH and it doesn't take long for them to do!
Get a good guarantee and make sure they look like they'll be around
for a few years if you go this way, as it sometimes takes another
application to get it all. I don't really know if this is a reasonable
suggestion for a 185 year old house, but they ought to know.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany