Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CONTRACTORS: Do they target women or do they pull the same ruses on men?

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do contractors bluff their way into men's lives in the same fashion
that they do women?

Or, are men smarter than women on projects?

I think women are sometimes hesitant to keep asking questions until they
understand what they're paying for. I was never totally knowledgeable about
everything I've paid for (major car repairs, furnace/AC, electrical), but
one of my criteria for hiring people has always been to insist on someone
who is willing and able to answer questions.

You can often stack the odds in your favor by getting referrals from other
people who've been happy with a particular contractor. If you can't find
friends who've used a certain type of service, do what someone did in a
large office where I used to work: She put notes on the mirrors in the men's
& women's bathrooms, saying she was looking for a good electrician. The
place was too big and too busy for her to walk around checking with
everyone.