Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Push in wire connectors

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Eigenvector :

I'm talking about these things
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/28249/612

I note that they're both UL and CSA approved.

I'll also note that push in terminals on outlets are also (still)
approved by UL and CSA, and all of the device connection failures
I've _ever_ seen were push-in. Most of them with aluminum wire
(where push-in has never been legal), but still, some were
copper.

When it comes right down to it, given the right tools[1]/workmanship
for installing on screw terminals or wirenuts, push-in doesn't really
save you much. And I _much_ prefer the higher clamp pressure and
solidity of a screw termination or a good solid wirenut.

For screw terminals my wire stripper has a strategically placed hole
that makes making a small loop at the wire end very easy. A pair of
needle nose pliers works in a pinch.

The proper set of linesman pliers makes quick work of doing the
twists for wirenuts. Some wirenuts are rated _without_ pretwisting.

Note that these devices aren't intended for stranded wire. Only
solid.
--
Chris Lewis,

I guess in asking I wanted to make sure I wasn't turning my house into the
next "aluminum wire back stab connector" of the next century. I don't know
the history of aluminum wire or back stab connectors but it seems like they
probably received the same approval before everyone found out just how bad
they were.