Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Rail & Stile bit set up help needed

Apparently there is a moron gas leak in my workshop.

I bought a set of rail & stile bits labeled 1-5/8.

Before I cut up even one more forest of 'practice' wood, I've got a
couple questions. Well, maybe four. Yep. Definitely five questions.

1) ISTR that the lumber for a cabinet door is typically 3/4 inch thick. Is
this correct? When I mill my lumber perzackly .750 (+ .001 -.000) there
seems to be too much of it. I get a small lip on either side of the formed
cut. Judging by the milling marks, the total 'excess' is about .080"

2) When I mill it perzackly .625" (+.0005 - .0000), there doesn't seem to
be enough (depending on which cutter I index off of, either the ogee isn't
fully formed or a step shown on the profile drawing that came with the
bits is missing altogether.)

3) Which should be the top cutter ... that is, what is the correct
orientation of the cutters for each of these bits? I'm not used to
scratching this big of a hole in my head so I might as well back up a step
and make certain that the bits are correctly assembled from the factory.

4) Which cutter edge should I be aligning the stock to?

I've got well over 2 hours of fussing around invested in this. I figured
that trying out a few cuts and measuring the results should show me what
is what. If it is ever going to do that, it needs to hurry. I concede that
I need some help with this (supposedly) simple process.

5) Can anyone pass me a link to some sort of instruction for this? I'm
getting ready to DAGS but figured I'd ask as long as I'm posting this
anyways.

Sign me,

Perplexed in Detroit