Posted to misc.consumers.house
dave xnet dave xnet is offline

Default problems trying to rent while unemployed

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:47:17 GMT, "Donna"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

dave xnet wrote:

I came up with the idea of just offering the landlord
6 months rent in advance, even the full year,
but not sure of any legal implications of that.

That sounds like the best idea to me. The disadvantage is not really
legal, but more practical. Once you're paid in full, you lose
leverage. So, I'd make even more sure than usual that the place is
ship shape and that you aren't going to run into problems, because the
landlord may be less responsive. Also, if for some reason you want to
break the lease early, the landlord is in a much better position and
will likely be less flexible in being willing to negotiate some
resolution.

Adding to Trader4's idea: put one year's worth of rent (or six months,
whatever) into a joint escrow account, to be released each month. That way
the landlord knows the money is there, but you're not losing your leverage
by paying your rent far in advance.

Just a suggestion.

Donna

Thanks for your suggestion Donna.
Where/How does one establish such an account?

Dave