Ian Malcolm

Default Scam?

Gunner wrote:
I tossed in a starting bid on Steve Herrs mill a couple days ago on
eby..and got this email....Not that I can afford this fellows mill ..but
it may be either a scam, or somebody in the UK may be interested.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

Not saying its a scam either but that postcode resolves to Leyton, a
somewhat depressed definately fairly post industrial part of north east
london, the far side of the Lee valley. I'd be careful myself as a
London resident. Also WHY is it 220V 60Hz. I would expect a UK
bridgeport to be 240V 50Hz. I am no expert and have never made chips on
a mill, but I have done considerable work on the controlling PC on one
of my regular customer's bridgeport.

OT: Ive trailed my boat through that neibourhood and I reckon most of
the population had ever seen a privately owned sailboat before. Heads
turned. NOT the usual inner city reaction in a non waterfront area.
I think but arent sure that the postcode would be just off the
highstreet I drove through with my boat.

Make of that what you will.

http://www.multimap.co.uk/ should let you look up any future UK
postcodes (Which work like zip codes, but alphanumeric. 1-3 letters, a
number, a space another number and a couple of letters: XXXnnn nXX). If
you have a house number as well, it can be resolved to a FULL uk postal
address. I expected this one not to be valid, but it was.

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:29:08 -0800 (PST)
From: christian w
Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2590621603
To: Gunner Asch

Hi,
My mill is Bridgeport Knee Mill Series I, 2 HP with Proto Trak 2 Axis NC
Control
Quill Feed Rates .0015,.003 & .006 IPR, Motor 2 HP,220/440V,3ph,60Hz
Weight, approx 1,300 lbs.
Equipped with: Proto Trak 2 Axis NC Control, With Trak Z Axis Quill
Readout,Infinitely Variable Spindle Speed Control
Sir I live in London UK, E10 5LT, but right now I am at my wife father
in other country. If you are interest to buy I will ship you the machine
from here via UPS SERVICES in collaboration with AIRBOARD AIRLINES and
all the taxes will be included in the last price of the machine.
I will give you a 15 days money back guarantee, no questions asked --
this means that if within 15 days from the sale you decide not to keep
the machine, for whatever reason, you'll ship it back to me (I WILL PAY
FOR HER SHIPPING BACK) and you'll get your full amount paid back, before
the shipping is done.
Thank you for your interest, I'll be online

Gunner Asch wrote:
Am interested. send information

At 12:57 PM 1/26/2004 -0800, you wrote:

Hi!
Dear eBay member, sorry because I bother you. I saw that you are
interested in purchase a product (BRIDGEPORT LAGUN (type) Vertical Mill
DRO PF).
I want to tell you that I have the same product that you bid on, but at a
very good price. I want to sell it because I have bad problems with the
money. Haven`t been used to much. It is in very good conditions used but
no scratches. If you are interested I can send you all information's you
need and pics of course. This are excellent beginner for a good deal
between us.
Thank you for your interest, I'll be online.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961