Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Push in wire connectors

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
For the re-wiring I did in my basement we used the push-in connectors for
a junction box. They worked very well especially given the large number
of wires we had to connect together. But what's the word on the street,
my friend who recommended them says that a lot of old-timer electricians
don't trust them, but that the journeymen that he works with love them
because they make their job so much easier. I thought it was great,
strip the wire, push the wire in the hole, wire's locked into place.

I suspect they're okay for the terminal junction.

But look how they work. Like an alligator clamp.

If several outlets are daisy-chained, the final current draw on the first
plug-in may be significant - and greater than the miniscule contact area
can handle. This results in charring, overheating, and (if you're lucky)
loss of connectivity.

I've never seen how they're constructed internally, so I can't say anything
for sure. But it seems like losses in a circuit due to bad connections
would be measurable and testable.

I know I have seen a lot of wire nut connections that seemed firm - until
the wire is twisted as it's being pushed back into the box. That's one of
the bigger advantages over wire nuts that I saw there - unlike a wire nut,
the push in connector has all the wires in a line and easily routed out of
the way back in the junction box.