Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Push in wire connectors

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

fast but can flake out over time If they are in and working I would
just remember where they are. someday when something quits check its
likely the cause.

I have some here that never caused a problem although one flaked about
a year ago......

You're not talking about the stab-loc connectors on outlets and switches are
you? For those I've heard plenty of people complain that those are fire
hazards. For switches and outlets the screw down type you mentioned below
are definitely recommended over stab-loc.

I'm talking about these things
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/28249/612

Just so that we're on the same page and all that.

I believe that one of the major fire alarm suppliers uses those, or
something very similar to them, for low voltage connections having to do
with auxiliary relays for a duct detector. So apparently they can be
reliable, at least reliable enough to be UL listed for fire alarm use.

That said, I do trust a good old fashioned terminal strip with screws on
it a lot more. I also never use the push in connectors on a receptacle,
heard enough stories about those...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.