Posted to alt.home.repair
Karl S Karl S is offline

Default Do you work with STEEL? Help me with a --RIVETING project for some shelves I'm building . . .

On 12 Nov 2006 07:21:12 -0800, 50 SOMETHING GAL wrote:

Larry & Dan . . .

Thanks guys.

Well the reason I'm hesitant to locate the beams and cut them down
myself is that I simply don't have the tools for such work. Oh, my
circular saw (and handheld power drill) can handle light metal jobs . .
. but realize that these steel beams are T.H.I.C.K. They have to be to
handle the weight loads they typically support.

I've put together many of this type of shelf. The steel isn't as thick as
you might think. Look at the size of the rivets. If THICK steel beams were
required to support the weight, don't you think that more than two small
rivets would be required, too.

As others have suggested, cut them yourself and use bolts.